Friday, May 13, 2011

Rome Day 2

Here is day 2:  We saw the coliseum, Pantheon, Roman Forum, and Palatine Hill. This was my favorite day.  I got to see the things I've dreamed of seeing and everything exceeded my expectations.
The quality of these pictures may not be as good as I'd like because I'm uploading them faster and I'm not editing them because I'm tired. :) I also might come back and add more information about the places we visit, but I'd rather sleep at the moment.

Arch of Constantine

Me in the coliseum. Of my entire trip (and life) I was looking forward to the Coliseum the most. It met and exceeded my expectations. It was much bigger than I thought it would be.


I already said it but the coliseum is huge. Though historians disagree on the amount of people it could hold, it held somewhere between 40,000 and 70,000 people. That's a lot of people to watch gladiators kill each other. It was popular with the Roman citizens.



What's wrong with this picture?

View of the Arch of Constantine from the Coliseum

Coliseum

Palatine Hill, the ruins here were much bigger than I expected


Dad and I listening to our audio guides while overlooking the Roman Forum

Forum

View of Rome


Forum

Arch of Titus





Temple of Saturn 

My lovely parents



You can see in this picture how thick the original was

Circus Maximus

Mom's cappucino (she was a happy camper)


Gelato. Amazing.


Pantheon.  The Pantheon was particularly impressive, it's amazing since the dome is not supported.   But it's not particularly pretty compared to some of the other sights.


Pantheon

The Brazilian Embassy

I bought a lovely painting of the Roman Forum from one of these vendors



No comments: